Wednesday 12 March 2008

Quaker's

I am a huge fan of the Christian denomination know as "The religious society of friends" AKA Quaker's. I love that they see God in everybody, which is pretty "Hermetic" view for Christians, I love that they have no minister at their meetings so everyone is equal and all have a chance to participate in their service. I love that they do not hold the bible as the be all and end all of belief, they look into themselves, their inner light for guidance. Most of them support the right to hold differing religious beliefs from one and other. A great example of this was told to me the other day by my Quaker friend "Pete" (A fellow ULC member) He is a nurse in a hospital in England and he is also on the Chaplaincy rota for the hospital. All the Chaplin's were having a meeting about how people should be treated spiritually while in hospital. They (the group) said that Satanists should be banned outright from working in the hospital. Pete actually stood up and defended Satanists on the grounds that everyone deserves the right to spiritual counselling if needed. How great was that? What a guy!!!

No comments: