Monday 10 March 2008

The symbol of Baphomet

Recently I have taken to adopting the symbol of Baphomet (see pic at side of blog) as my religious symbol of choice. I hesitated for a year or so because I felt that it was very much taken over by Modern Satanists; but now I feel that we (trad Satanists) have the right to wear it too. I have it as a pendant but i chose not to wear it over my clothes to often, as i feel i want the symbol for myself as a personal statement. Also i have never been big on wearing religious jewellery full stop.
A couple of people I have talked to have thought the symbol was scary, while i can see why they think that. I don't think it is any more scary than having a dead man hanging from a cross around you neck. The Baphomet (to me) is a symbol of freedom, of personal power, of loving life, of true free will and of Independence. Yes the Crucifix also stands for some great things, forgiveness of sin, of love but it is also a symbol of fear, of guilt and of violence. I like my symbol better.

No comments: